Alsfeld protected!The Federal Border Guard comes to Alsfeld
The founding of the Federal Border Guard in the Federal Republic of Germany dates back to 1951. In the following years, the changed security situation in divided Germany prompted the planning of a new location in Alsfeld. The German-German border was only about 60 kilometers away and there was an increased need for security in the Rhine-Main region. On May 20, 1960, the time had come: The Alsfeld location of the Border Guard Division III/3 of the BGS Mitte was opened in the previously built barracks facilities “Am Ringofen”.
The main task was initially border surveillance on the demarcation line between Hesse and Thuringia in the section from Richelsdorf to Unterbreizbach. In principle, however, the BGS also helped in emergencies (flood disaster in Hamburg in 1962) or in large-scale operations (securing Frankfurt Airport).
The year 1976 brought an important change: Due to the personnel structure law, the purpose of the location changed from an operational unit to a training department. Instead of basic military service with the Bundeswehr, all new recruits to the BGS now received one year of basic training in Alsfeld.
After the political decision to abandon Alsfeld, the site was finally disbanded in 1998. For almost four decades, people from the BGS were part of the town’s economic, cultural and social life. NH